The biggest nightmare for anyone is losing their critical data to a hard drive failure. As we continue to rely on technology and shift our working methodologies to the digital space, the data heaps continue to grow. This has led to more storage option for users which resulted in the onset of hard drives. Therefore, if any user ends up losing their data to a hard drive failure, which might result from malware, viruses, or physical damage, it can be a daunting affair. To help users, we have listed some hard drive recovery methodologies which are instrumental in regaining access to critical data.
Using a Data Recovery Software Program:
The first step in order to recover files from hard drive is to use any data recovery software. While the market is flooded with applications and software programs, we recommend the use of Wondershare’s Data Recovery Wizard. While it can double up as an effective data manager for your system, it does ease the stress of recovering data from your crashed hard drive.
Here is how you can go about it;
- Download and install Wondershare Data Recovery software on your computer. The installation process is fairly easy. After completing the installation, insert the pen drive into the PC that can be used to save the data you recover. Click on ‘Next’ and select the file type you wish to recover from your device.
- You can then use your device to scan the lost data.
- Preview and check the desired files and click in order to recover your data.
Users can download the Wondershare Data Recovery Wizard from the company’s website for both Windows and MAC Operating Systems.
Turning the Crashed Hard Drive into an External Hard Drive:
Another method to perform a successful hard drive recovery is by using the crashed hard drive as an external hard drive. The entire process has been listed in the following steps:
- Users must start by getting a hard drive disk enclosure, which is also known as an external system that can be used to operate a computer’s hard drive on another system through a USB port. However, we advise that you check your system’s specifications before the purchase is made, particularly that of the USB Enclosure.
- Once the crashed hard drive has been placed on a hard drive enclosure, connect it with the system using a USB Cable. While MAC users would see an icon appearing on their desktop, Windows users would see a notification. If you are lucky, the drive would be opened automatically.
- For the ones who do not receive any notification in their Windows interface, they can access the drive through ‘My Computer’. If it hasn’t been recognized by your system, trying ejecting and plugging it back again. However, if the hard drive happens not to be readable, the fault lies with the hard drive, and would require professional assistance to be sorted.
- Once you have regained access to your hard drive, you can recover files from hard drive by manually going through the interface and choosing the files you wish to save.
Please note that this method is helpful if you are looking to check the hardware of your system and hard drive. Alongside helping you to recover files from hard drive, it is effective to know if your hard drive is in working order or not.
Give your Hard Drive a WHACK!
Now, this might sound unconventional to the beginners, but the advanced users might consider it a usual option. Do not worry, we are not asking you to randomly hit your hard drive on its head in order to perform the hard drive recovery, but asking for a professional whack in order to get things going.
Here’s how you can whack it right;
- If the hard drive is being recognized by the USB Device, and is stuck on initializing, and is clicking before disappearing into the quite mode, it means that the head of your hard drive has got stuck.
- Very carefully, you are required to give a hard hit of your hand on the narrow edge near the cable connector end. Please do not end up hitting to forcefully as you might wind up without any hard drive to recover.
- If you are in any luck, the hard drive would be recognized the next time you plug it to your PC, and you can recover files from hard drive before seeking professional assistance for your drive.
Warning: While this might give the result you are looking for, it might be able to result in severe data loss as the head of the hard drive may end up scraping the platter. Therefore, we recommend you recover files from hard drive before anything else.
Using Linux to perform Hard Drive Recovery:
Start by downloading a live disk, something similar or exactly like System Rescue CD. Follow it by burning the .iso to a blank CD with the help of an Image Burner. You can now boot the computer, but do change the boot order in the BIOS. You are then required to boot up a Linux System or mount the drive using the Linux Live Disk and start backing up your data if the file-system is visible in Linux.
- Mount the drive by using the following command: ‘mkdir/mnt/disk && mount-t auto / dev/sda1/mnt/disk’. Please note that if the drive is an IDE drive would be mount-t auto/dev/hda1/mnt/disk. We assume that you only have a single partition on the driver. You can refer to the Linux guide for information on the same.
- The final step involves mounting another drive and backing up the data. We recommend that you refer to a Linux Guide as it has different utilities in order to help users with data recovery, such as ‘Testdisk’, which helps create the partition table.
This process to recover hard drive is helpful for users who have advanced knowledge of Linux systems and its utilities.
Replacing the Cables of your Hard Drive:
One of the lesser used methods to perform Hard Drive Recovery and get it to work again depends on the hardware aspects pertaining to the cables being used. We recommend that you replace the cables of your hard drive and plug it with the new cables (power and data connection) that you are sure works. Please note that an IDE drive would require would require a flat-ribbon cable.
As discussed above, users can employ one of the above listed methods if they are looking for a method to recover files from hard drive. For the ones who don’t find desirable results using the above methods, can always turn to professional assistance; however, if users choose the right data recovery wizard (refer to Wondershare’s Data Recovery Wizard in the first method), hard drive recovery can be performed with ease.